What's the 60 30 10 rules?
This rule is a great starting point for creating a color scheme for your home. It suggests that 60% of the room should be a dominant color, 30% should be a secondary color or texture, and the last 10% should be an accent. This can help you create a cohesive and stylish space.
How to use it ?
1) 60% of your chosen color should be the main hue for your room. For example, in a living room, most of your walls and large accent pieces, like an area rug or sofa, would be this color. The remaining 40% can be used for accent colors/texture.
Using the sixty-percent rule will help ground the space and serve as a backdrop for your furniture and other decor.
2) The next color will be the secondary color and would represent 30% of the room. It can be great to have the secondary color complement the main color, but still be distinct enough to provide contrast and visual interest in the room.
This can be achieved through incorporating curtains , accent chairs, bed linens, side chairs, or even an accent wall. The real fun of this comes with adding the next accent color.
3) Your accent color should make up about 10% of your overall color scheme. This can be found in your throw pillows, decorative accessories (books, tray, candles,..), and artwork in a living room. For a bedroom, this might include accent pillows on the bed, lamps on the bedside table, and candles on the nightstand.
If you are interested, we created an article on how to select 3 colors that goes well together here.
Examples of the use of the 60 30 10 rule:
- large furniture
- medium furniture (wooden table, chairs, ..)
- a part of the wall
- accessories (pillows, candles, lamp, plants)
60% of the room is white
The 30% are represented by the wood
The accent colors are used via the artwork.